FROM DRAWING TO PAINTING
An exploration of Paul Macklin’s personal approach to creative expression. A drawing, painting and mixed media workshop for up to 12 participants
This workshop unpacks the key practical and creative insights of that journey and gives students a pathway to build on their current drawing, painting and creative practice. This workshop can be adapted to life drawing, still life or landscape drawing and painting and in duration from 1-4 days.ver the past 40 years Paul Macklin has made his own exploratory journey from drawing to painting.
A creative adventure that Paul willingly admits was full of struggles, lessons and personal discovery.
You will appreciate this workshop if you desire to…
- Develop a more exploratory approach to drawing and painting
- Enrich your paintings have a strong graphic foundation and feel
- Want to build on your existing drawing abilities
WE WILL EXPLORE...
- Building on what you know and stepping into new territory
- Developing your personal, ‘calligraphic vocabulary’ of marks, lines and shapes
- Using charcoal, aquarelle graphite, pastels and acrylic media to build compelling, tonal value artworks
- Combining drawing and painting approaches
- Colour exercises that ‘guarantee a winner’
- Balancing reality, abstraction and expression
- Colouring outside of the lines
- Creating dynamic tension in your work!
- Listening to the painting
MAIN MATERIALS RECOMMENDED FOR THE WORKSHOP…
- A1 200gsm cartridge or similar – up to 4-6 sheets/day
- Acrylic Gloss Medium
- Acrylic Matt Medium
- Soft charcoal
- Aquarelle Graphite Stick
- Some Oil and Soft Pastels
- A range of ‘hard working’ acrylic brushes
- Spatula for mixing paint
- A3 size flat palette – a piece of melamine works fine
- Water bucket
- Small empty milk bottle – to make up a media mix
- Cleaning rag
- Paper towel
- Drawing board to suit your paper size and bull dog clips
Paul Macklin passionately coaches, mentors and inspires the creative in every person he meets. He has expressed his creativity as poet, musician, potter, painter, actor, graphic designer, creative director, art teacher and as the founding director of Amazing People.
Paul divides his time between his family, farm, painting, art adventures, Finding YOUR Way creative transformation workshops and private, creative mentoring. Paul was a guest artist at the 2015 Cairns ARTescape.
Paul has been engaged in group and solo exhibitions on the Central Coast NSW. Paul’s art balances traditional elements of draftsmanship, structure and form with the creative interplay of abstraction and expression inspired by landscape, figure and dream.
Paul is a compassionate teacher and consummate learner.
He engages those around him in his passionate exploration of art and life. His great joy is to walk the path of discovery, with no fixed destination, while helping others step more confidently into the unknown.
“I see that we all have a zone at the edge of our experience where we have the opportunity to learn, to step into the unknown. We can do that by starting with known principles and expanding towards the edge, or simply by stepping off and learning to fly. My job is to help students discover their own method for confidently extending their creative practice.”
Bookings contact Paul Macklin 0409 114 271, email@example.com
You can book this workshop online via this KAS website. http://ourkas.com.au/news/workshops/
Any inquiries please contact Anne Carpenter on 0411 034 413