Susan began painting after finding some paints her children had left out. She attended classes, collected enough art reference books and magazines to fill a library, concentrated on acrylics and exhibited her work, having her first solo exhibition in 2004. It was a success. One visitor was Philippa Stewart-Hall, a member of the Australian Society of Miniature Art (NSW), who was so impressed by some of Susan’s smaller works that she suggested Susan apply for membership of that Society. This she subsequently did, and was pleased when accepted following her first application! She is also now an exhibiting member of ASMA (Tasmania) and ASMA (Victoria), as well as Ku-ring-gai and Hornsby Art Societies.
Having become a member of ASMA, Susan felt she should learn more about miniatures and their history, and how she could further her development in this particular field, so, enrolled in “miniature” classes with graphic designer and miniaturist, Tina Spira.
Susan has attended classes and workshops with Paul Miller, Patrick Carroll, Madeleine Szymanski and recently Terry Jarvis. She now works in a variety of media: graphite, charcoal, watercolour, collage, in addition to acrylics. She still paints large pictures! Susan collects unusual items for reference – hats, seedpods, stones – and uses her photographs as “aide-mémoires”.
Susan’s latest achievements in 2018, were first prize and Joan Irwin Prize for Miniatures at the Ku-ring-gai Art Society Annual Awards for her painting “The Bend Ahead” and The Yvonne Perrin Award for Best Traditional Painting at the ASMA Annual Awards for her painting “Coastal Fringe” where she also received a Highly Commended for her drawing “You Spoke?”. Susan also received Commended in the Drawing section of this year’s Lane Cove Art Society Awards and Exhibition for “Welcome to My Sofa II”.
Susan stopped work in 2012, and now concentrates on family, garden and painting
Mobile: 0418 614 368
SUSAN JOYCE curriculum vitae
- Born UK 1952
- 1970 – Completed education Tavistock College, Tavistock Devon
- 1970 – July – December Au Pair with UK Army family Germany
- 1971 -1974 Nursing training at Nightingale Training School St Thomas’ Hospital, London
- 1974 – 1975 Senior Staff Nurse Theatres St Thomas’ Hospital, London
- 1975 – 1977 Sister Theatres Royal North Shore Hospital Sydney
- 1977 – 1980 Sister in Charge Queen ElizabethII Rehabilitation Centre, Camperdown
- 1980 – 1990 Casual part-time RN nursing in between having family
- 1990 – 1996 Theatres Hornsby Hospital NSW
- 1996 – 2012 RN Theatres Sydney Adventist Hospital, Wahroonga, NSW
- 1997 – Began painting, attended classes with Norma McDonald, Paul Miller and Tina Spira. Also attended workshops with Patrick Carrol, Paul Miller, Madeleine Szymanski and Terry Jarvis
- 2012 to the present, Painting and family carer…
Achievements / Awards
- Exhibiting Member:
- Australian Society of Miniature Art NSW Inc.
- Australian Society of Miniature Art Tasmania Inc.
- Australian Society of Miniature Art Victoria Inc.
- Ku-ring-gai Art Society
- Hornsby Art Society
- Exhibitions and Competitions
- ASMA Tasmania 2018 Annual Award Exhibition “Miniatures By The Derwent” Third prize for seascape
- Highly Commended for portraits/ animals
- Highly Commended for mixed media
- ASMA National Awards Exhibition 2018 Winner of the Yvonne Perrin Award for Best Traditional Painting
- Highly Commended for Drawing
- KAS Annual Art Awards 1st Prize & Joan Irwin Award for Miniatures
- Scone Art Prize 2018 1st Prize Miniatures
- Mackay Art Society Artist and Art Exhibition 2018 Winner Miniatures
- Lane Cove Art Society Annual Awards Commended for Drawing
- Royal Canberra Show 2017 – Arts Section Third prize for drawing
- Highly commended for miniatures
- Small Packages Exhibition ASMA Victoria, Inc., & Sherbrooke Art Society Inc. Winner miniatures
- ASMA 2017 National Awards Exhibition Winner acrylic section
- ( to date 4 Awards from 11 exhibitions)
- Sydney Royal Arts and Crafts Show Third prize miniatures
- Great lakes 34th open Art Exhibition Beatrice Padgett Memorial Award for Best Contemporary Art Work
- Australian Society of Miniature Art Tasmania Inc Honourable Mention section 5
- Silver medal section 6
- ASMA NSW Annual Art Awards Highly Commended Acrylics
- Images of Hornsby Exhibition 2016 Winner painting section
- (8 Awards from 19 exhibitions)
- Sydney Royal Arts and Crafts Show Third prize, Drawing
- ASMA Tasmania Inc Silver medal, drawing
- St Ives Show Convenor’s prize, First prize category 3, Best in Section,
- Second Prize Miniatures
- ASMA NSW Annual Art Awards Highly Commended for drawing
- The Coal and Allied Singleton Art prize2015 First prize Florals
- Another 7 awards this year. (15 Awards from 22 exhibitions)