The KAS Monthly General Meeting on the first Tuesday at 7.30 pm , features the following Guest Artist Presenters.
June 6th, PETER STUDLEY Marine Art in Oils
July 4 Jacqueline Payne – Palette knife beach paintings, landscapes
Aug 1 Ros Gervey – Social Media and Art
Sept 5 Scott Swinson – Watercolours
Oct 3 King McCotter – Pastels
Ros Gervay – Social Media and Art
Ros Gervay is a modern botanical artist based in Lane Cove who is also a mentor to aspiring artists. Her artistic journey began with a Bachelor of Design from COFA at Uni of NSW and early work experience in commercial interior design.
Feeling that she wanted to give back to the community, Ros studied and worked as a Primary School teacher before dedicating herself to full time art practice and mentoring other artists.
Her online presence includes the podcast Paint Rest Repeat, a free community Facebook group Permission to Paint and a fortnightly online painting group Art for the Heart.
Ros uses Instagram as her main social media platform to reach new art buyers and gave us some major pointers to being an effective Instagram user:
- Commit to regular posting, once or twice a week and stick to it.
- Build a community who are interested in following you and engage with your followers by inviting them to direct message you. Connect with people by having a conversation with them.
- Consider changing your Instagram account to Business, which is still free, and add products so that they are clickable.
- Your account name should reflect who you are, for example Sally Smith Art.
- Your profile picture is very important as people want to follow you and shows that you are an actual person.
- Get your profile name right, for example Watercolour landscape artist, Sydney Australia and ensure that your bio describes your art and what is unique about you.
Having your own website is always an option or decide whether to use a third party such as Blue Thumb, Etsy or Art Lovers.
Your website must be easy to use and the free website platform Shopify provides an easy shopping experience for your buyers.
Ros has many useful strategies for being creative, whether your art is a hobby with no desire to sell, or you are a hobbyist hoping to sell your first artwork or to sell more.
Follow her on Instagram@rosgervayart and explore her website https://rosgervayart.com
Thank you, Ros, for encouraging us to get creative, whether we want to sell our work or not.