Jacky Pearson was one of our most popular tutors last year, so we are excited to have her run a workshop for us again this year. Jacky is unable to be with us in person due to travel restrictions between NZ and Australia, so this workshop will be online!
With Jacky, we will look at landscapes and how to add figures into your pictures to bring them to life.
The workshop will be run as 2 x Zoom classes.
9 -11:30 am and 1:30-4 pm
Jacky has been running her regular classes via Zoom, so has her camera set up so you can see her painting clearly. During the zooms, Jacky will do a step by step demo, and you will paint with her, and Jacky will give online, real time reviews of your work to help you along, just as she would in person. If you have your video on, Jacky can see you also, and you can ask questions, and show her your progress during the class.
As an added bonus, after the course, she will send you a more detailed review of your work and a summary of the lesson’s demos and pictures in pdf.
To attend a Zoom class, you will need the following things:
- Good internet connection, to get a reasonable image and sound.
- Download the zoom App, and join using the link we will send out.
Jacky will also run a free online trial zoom review of your general work the day or two before the class to help you try out Zoom and get it running comfortably.
Jacky doesn’t mind if you want to use what you are used to painting with. She is used to working with differences in painting equipment and styles.
Please have some watercolour practice paper available for exercises as well a good piece about A3 or “half sheet size”.
Paint – Student or Artist Quality TUBE Paint 14/15ml size
(Note: if you only have pan paints you will be unable to make the full range of tones)
Preferred colours and/or your usual palette colours, below is only a suggestion
- Ultramarine Blue (important-we will use quite a bit of this colour)
- Cobalt Blue
- Cerulean Blue
- Cadmium Red
- Pyrrol orange or cadmium orange (optional)
- Quinacridone Gold (optional but worth having)
- Alizarin Crimson or other cool red like magenta or permanent rose…
- Raw Sienna or yellow ochre
- Indian yellow or cadmium yellow (optional)
- Lemon Yellow, transparent yellow or Aureolin
- Burnt Sienna
- Raw Umber
- Pthalo or turquoise or other intense blue/green
- eg. Saunders, Langton, Arches, Fabriano or student eg.Bockingford, rough or NOT 300gms. Sold loose (full sheet)76x56cm or in gummed blocks or pads (A3 ). We will get through a couple of A3’s or equivalent- half the full sheet per day and you can paint on either side for economy. Careful with old paper it can go mottled. If you have old paper, 2 years+ test it out with water and reject if it is like blotting paper.
- sketch pad.
Brushes Large and medium pointed (pref.soft hair with a point eg squirrel or synthetic squirrel, my favourite is a No 4 Casaneo, Da Vinci brush) a synthetic med and small pointed detail brush and a small (1- 0.5cm) flat stiff synthetic brush. Photo of my brushes on my website under Equipment
Palette – a decent size for mixing large washes (Warehouse Stationary do a good folding palette).
Art Board large enough to take at least A3 size
Art Board Prop eg a block 30c length 4×2” wood (or box of tissues works too) to tilt art board
Spray Bottle-optional eg small empty from home
Masking Tape –you don’t need to stretch your paper.
Water Container studio- large (at least 1 lt) outdoors small jar eg 500ml
Pencil ( B or 2B) and Eraser (preferably kneadable )
Box of tissues or rag/old towel and a small piece of flat kitchen sponge
This is only a suggestion list intended as the basic requirements but feel free to use what you usually use.
About the Tutor:
Jacky is a multi award winning professional artist and travels internationally to paint and conduct master classes in watercolours. She has a wide variety of favourite subjects including, figures, streets, water and boats. Her work features in public and private collections worldwide. She features in many art publications, books, calendars and magazines; recently on the front cover of the Australian Artist. She was chosen to represent New Zealand in the Museum of Watercolours in Mexico City and has recently been televised painting a portrait for Australian TV company and can be viewed through her website or on Youtube”. www.jackypearson.co.nz
1. Ku-ring-gai Art Society Members only – log in, then book and pay online by credit card or Paypal
- The workshop fee is $65
2. Non Members only – book and pay online by credit card or Paypal
- The workshop fee is $65.
For any enquiries, feedback or suggestions for future tutors, click here to send Anne Carpenter an email or call on 0411 034 413
- This is an ONLINE Workshop, via ZOOM. Details of the Zoom meeting will be emailed to participants prior to the workshop.
- Bookings are essential and workshop must be paid for at time of booking. Participants are booked in order of payment. This class sizes is restricted to a maximum of 20.
- There is no refund or credit for a cancellation. If you are unable to attend please check with Anne or Prue Finlay if there is anyone on the waiting list, or arrange for a friend to attend on your behalf.
- Ku-ring-gai Art Society reserves the right to cancel any workshop if the minimum enrollment is not reached, or there are circumstances beyond their control. When such cases occur, a full refund will be made or a coupon will be issued to use for another workshop.